Saturday 28 September 2013

Sherman cup 28/09/2013

This is the first cross country race of the season and was an absolutely cracking day with brilliant sunshine and no wind.
There was a good turn out from the club for both men and women and although I hadn't done much running since the great north run my hamstring seemed to be holding up and I was hoping to have a good race.
Normally this fixture is held at temple park, however this year the venue had moved to the fields beside tanfield railway.
I made my way to the start of the race, but I was only  a few metres in when I felt a ripping pain tearing through my hamstring (ironically not the one that I had previously injured).
I was hoping that it wasn't too serious and the pain would subside but that didn't happen and I started to think about dropping out.  I managed to keep going for a while at a reduced pace and decided to see if I could make it till the end.
Although there weren't any significant hills on the course there was a fair amount of undulation and the hard baked ground was energy sapping.
I managed to get round and finish the course without any further incident but my hamstring was very sore afterwards and I struggled to even walk.
Not a great start to the xc season but at least I managed to get round and was still in contention for the internal xc competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment