Monday 15 October 2012

Great North Run race report 16 Sep 2012

Although I've been running again for just over 3 years now and ran on and off since I was a kid I've never done the Great North Run before. In fact I've never raced a half marathon so this was a first on a number of levels.

I've got a long time goal to try and crack 1-15 for the distance but I knew I wasn't in that type of shape for this race. Realistically I thought that I'd try and aim for 1-23 which meant just under 6-20 pace.

My biggest mistake of the day was underestimating the time it would take to get to the start line. I set out for South Shields at 8-30 to get there before the roads closed with Donna who was going to wait for me at the finish line. Heavy traffic and a busy metro ride back to town meant I didn't get to the start line till 10-20, with the race due to start at 10-40.

By this time I had missed the baggage bus so had to race up to the top of Claremont Road to put by bag on the late baggage bus. I was advised not to try and get back into my starting pen and join the race at the back which would have destroyed any chance I had of getting near my target time. For this reason I decided to take a chance and raced back down to my start pen (Orange B) which was just closing (aaaaegh - at least I had managed to get a warm up racing to the baggage bus and back).

Streams of runners were walking back up the road so I felt resigned to going all the way to the back when I noticed one of the pens still letting people in. I managed to just squeeze in, but it still was nearly 15 minutes before I reached the start line just as it started to rain.

I resisted the urge to high 5 Mo Farah as I crossed the line and finally started to run. This is only the second race I've ever taken part in where there is a significant amount of support along the way (the first being the Edinburgh Marathon) and I think this is one of the reasons the race has came to be so big as it certainly isn't the most scenic of routes.

From start to finish I was constantly dodging past people so found it difficult to maintain a steady pace but I still managed to maintain my target of 6-20 mileing. I managed to maintain this until around 9 miles where fatigue started to kick in and I reached a steady incline before the steep drop down to the coast.

Although a net downhill course the route certainly isn't flat with a number of steady climbs which shook things up a bit.

I had made a decision not to take on any fuel or drinks during the race, consistent with my training were I have ran up to 18 mile with little fueling. In retrospect maybe a gel at mile 8 may help so I will give this a try next time.

At the 12 mile point I put a final kick in to the finish line for a time of 1-23-31 , pretty much exactly what I was aiming for. Maybe with a better starting point I could have got closer to 1-20 , but this now gives me a mark in the sand to try and beat next year.

Having ran my first half marathon and first great north run I feel that with the right training and preparation that 1-15 is in reach and something I'd like to work towards next year.

Next up: Kielder Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment